Thursday, April 30, 2020

April 30, 2020

Part 1:
So, once in a while, but not as often now as in years past, I get these random emails. Usually asking when I will be posting on my blog again. I used to respond with something along the lines of "I'll try to get to it soon." Then I just stopped answering because I don't need to respond to nameless, faceless people.

Last week or so I received an email asking me if I knew what "So and So" was up to. And explained some of what So and So was doing. WTF? I hit "permanently delete" and then wished I hadn't, and here's why: I started thinking about who I used to email with from that Gmail account; I usually emailed So and So from my AOL (main) email account. I never emailed So and So from this particular Gmail account so he likely doesn't know of it. I wished that I had saved it to post the email in this blog. So, here's fair warning: If I receive another one of those emails; I am going to post it here, going to screenshot it and post it publicly; headers and all. I don't give a flying shit what So and So is doing.

Part 2:
Masks. The last mask I wore, I was probably 7, 8 years old. Halloween. I have not worn a mask during this pandemic and will not. I go into stores and do my own shopping (delivery or pick up, means at least one additional person before you, and sometimes 2, have also handled your groceries--and I've never seen any of those personal shoppers wearing gloves and masks...).

I wash my hands when I get home, but I've always done that. Basic hygiene. I don't wear gloves--what's the purpose if you're going to wash your hands anyway? When you take gloves off, you have to do it in such a way as to not touch the contaminated gloves and then--wash your hands. Gloves are not antibacterial; they pick up germs and viruses the same as hands. Every time you touch a cart handle, a freezer door etc, you're picking up germs.

Masks need to be handled carefully as well; I see people constantly wearing them wrong, and constantly touching them, adjusting them, and talking on their germy cellphones wearing masks. That puts germs and viruses right where you don't want them--near your nose and mouth, where they multiply quickly in that warm, moist environment. Masks are supposed to be changed when they become damp; which is very soon after donning them--you cough or sneeze, etc. Then you have to handle them with your--hands. Then you need to wash your hands again and put on a clean, dry mask. Just wash your freakin' hands people! Limit exposure if you're afraid. Personally, I have cause to think I may have had a mildish case, along with Matthew. In any case, I'll let "herd immunity" take care of it. Only a tiny fraction are sick enough to be hospitalized, and an even tinier fraction need to go on ventilators. Masks are the new virtual signaling...

This is from JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association):

Face masks should be used only by individuals who have symptoms of respiratory infection such as coughing, sneezing, or, in some cases, fever. Face masks should also be worn by health care workers, by individuals who are taking care of or are in close contact with people who have respiratory infections, or otherwise as directed by a doctor. Face masks should not be worn by healthy individuals to protect themselves from acquiring respiratory infection because there is no evidence to suggest that face masks worn by healthy individuals are effective in preventing people from becoming ill. Face masks should be reserved for those who need them because masks can be in short supply during periods of widespread respiratory infection. Because N95 respirators require special fit testing, they are not recommended for use by the general public.

How to Wear a Mask

If wearing a face mask is indicated, it is important to wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds prior to putting on the face mask. An alcohol-based sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol can also be used if soap and water are unavailable.


After cleaning your hands, place the face mask over your nose and mouth. Make sure there are no gaps between the face mask and your face, and ensure a tight seal. Try to avoid touching the face mask when wearing it. If you do touch the face mask, wash your hands or use hand sanitizer again. When you are done using the face mask, remove it without touching the front of the face mask, and discard it into a closed bin. Wash your hands again after discarding the face mask. JAMA
__
So that's what's up from me. Busy with my gardens, orchard, house, crafts projects, and my "prepper pantry." Charlie is doing well, and Matthew is doing awesome--not quite 10 years out of high school, he's pulling down $51,000 in a dream job of working with the State in fire safety. He also has a State car to drive! He's based from home and has set himself up a nice home office. What makes this extra delicious is he had a teacher during his senior year who tried to discourage him from pursuing his dream and kept him out of a class he wanted to take. Best move she could have done--he drove himself, twice a week all that winter, an hour each way, to take the class he needed and it turned out to be more educational than the high school class and he networked with some awesome people who mentored him and helped him along the way with job openings he never would have heard of otherwise, and great references from them. He's won awards for his hard work and that teacher, who is now one of his Facebook friends, sees all that he is accomplishing. And he's making more than she is!

So, if the person who sends me periodic emails is reading this--stop. I don't give two shits. And next time, I'm makin' it public--

Poems/prose on this site are original works, copyrighted Julie P. Clark 2020, and may not be used without permission. DISCLAIMER: Poems and commentary should not be taken to mean any person living, dead, or otherwise.

No comments: